Reading Comprehension does not just happen; it requires effort. Readers must intentionally and purposefully work to create meaning from what they read.
Reading Comprehension Camp is a multi-purpose app specifically designed to encourage language growth and reading comprehension. It has 50 stories in total with five difficulty levels ranging from second grade to 6th or 7th grade.
- The app is easy to use and intuitive, but if necessary there is a video tutorial in the support menu.
- Up to four students can play at a time and take turns answering different questions or each answer the same questions
- Font size of the text can be changed to assist early readers.
- Each story has an associated quiz to check for comprehension. Within the quiz, there are 11 types of questions available. You can choose to have all the questions or only target certain types of questions. The question types available include: who, what, where, when, why, how, inferences, cause & effect, compare & contrast, sequencing, and vocabulary & context.
- The number of answer choices can also be adjusted to increase or decrease the difficulty level.
- All stories are pre-recorded and listening comprehension skills can be addressed using this feature.
- Reading Fluency can be addressed as students can read, record and play-back their own reading.
- Quiz questions can be read so by tapping the sound icon. There is no option to have the answer choices read.
- Create your own stories. You can use any of the included images or add your own from your iPad camera roll. You can also easily add your own comprehension questions and record the audio for your story.
- Hint feature in the quiz highlights the text where the answer can be found.
- Incorrect answers can be eliminated, crossed out or “buzzed”
- Report Data is displayed in a graph format that reflects each of the comprehension question types. Data can be imported into the Therapy Report Center.
What I like:
- Ability to record and create your own story or build on stories.
- I love the audio options which allow you to work on listening comprehension, reading fluency or both.
- The hint option is such a great tool for teaching strategies for finding answers in the text.
- The cross out feature encourages children to review why they have made a mistake.
- The variety of stories was great. In particular, I was able to use the original stories and build on them. For example in the story “Left Behind” level 1, we created a whole new chapter on what ‘Bolt the Bear’ did whilst he was alone at home.
What I would like:
- When creating a personalized story, the App did not allow me to save the data unless I had completed all the options. That is, written, audio and text. I would like to be able to use only one or some of the options when creating a personal story.
- It would be nice to have the option of multiple choice answers or requiring the student to type in the response in a full sentence.
Overall, this is a wonderful, detailed app presented in a clean user interface The children would definitely choose the App over a worksheet, but would be hard pressed to choose this ‘just for fun.’
Reading Comprehension Camp is available on the App Store for $19.99
Thank you to Smarty Ears Apps who provided me with a copy of this App for Review